Omega-3 rich diet helps you sleep soundly: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: According to a new study, a diet rich in omega-3 DHA helps you sleep better.
The University of Oxford undertook a randomized placebo-controlled study and found that children on a course of daily supplements of omega-3 had nearly one hour more sleep and seven fewer waking episodes per night, as compared with the children taking the corn or soybean placebo.
The researchers also found that there is possible links between sleep and fatty acid status in healthy children, and that higher blood levels of the long-chain omega-3 DHA are significantly associated with better sleep, including less bedtime resistance, parasomnias and total sleep disturbance.
Higher ratios of DHA in relation to the long-chain omega-6 fatty acid AA (arachidonic acid) are also associated with fewer sleep problems.
Professor Paul Montgomery of Oxford University said that various substances made within the body from omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids have long been known to play key roles in the regulation of sleep and lower ratios of DHA have earlier been linked with lower levels of melatonin.
The study is published in the Journal of Sleep Research.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video