Organic, baby foods high in arsenic content
Washington: All those who swear by organic food or prefer baby food formulas are in for a rude shock - they may be high in arsenic content, known for toxicity and as a potential carcinogen.
Brian Jackson from Dartmouth College and others conducted a study to determine the concentrations of arsenic in food products containing organic brown rice syrup, including infant formula, cereal and high-energy foods used by endurance athletes.
The results were alarming. One of the infant formulas had a total arsenic concentration of six times the US Environmental Protection Agency`s (EPA) safe drinking water limit of 10 parts per billion (ppb), the journal Environmental Health Perspectives reports.
Cereal bars and high-energy foods using organic brown rice syrup also had higher arsenic concentrations than those without the syrup, said Jackson, member of Dartmouth`s National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) who led the study.
Jackson and colleagues purchased commercial food products containing organic brown rice syrup and compared these with similar products that did not contain the syrup, according to a Dartmouth statement.
Seventeen infant formulas, 29 cereal bars, and three energy "shots" were all purchased from local stores. Of the 17 infant milk formulas tested, only two had listed organic brown rice syrup as the primary ingredient.
These two formulas, one dairy-based and one soy-based, were extremely high in arsenic, more than 20 times greater than the other formulas. The amount of inorganic arsenic, the most toxic form, averaged 8.6 ppb for the dairy based formula and 21.4 ppb for the soy formula, the study showed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Rafael Nadal crushes Sam Groth to make French Open second round
- Finishing PhD now a political responsibility for me: JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts / Vocational Results 2016 to be announced on May 25
- British mother jailed for planning to take her three children to ISIS
- (manresult.nic.in) Manipur HSLC Results 2016 declared; Manipur HSLC exam result 2016, Manipur Board Class 10 result