`Paleo` diet may not be so good at suppressing appetite
Washington: A new research suggests that the trendy "paleo" diet a plant-based diet inspired by the idea that human ancestors mainly consumed roughage may not be so good at suppressing appetite.
In the study, researchers looked at gut bacteria taken from people and from primates called gelada baboons, and found that bacteria fed with predigested grass produced a smaller amount of compounds called short-chain fatty acids, which trigger the production of appetite-reducing gut hormones, compared with the bacteria fed with predigested potatoes.
Study author Timothy Barraclough, a professor of evolutionary biology at Imperial College London said that they didn't find any suggestion that people should start eating grass and that doing so would help control their appetite, Fox News reported.
Moreover, the findings do not support the idea that weight gain results from the mismatch between the foods people tend to eat these days and what humans' ancestors used to eat, the researchers said.
According to paleontological evidence, the diet of early hominins included considerably more plants than the contemporary human diet, the researchers wrote in the study.
But in the study, "it was really the potato diet that was leading to the production of more of these [appetite-suppressing] compounds and [had] a bigger effect on the hormone pathways than the grass," Barraclough said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt