Probiotics reduce stress-induced intestinal flare-ups
Washington: Probiotics may reduce intestinal inflammation caused by abnormal gut bacteria due to stress, a new study has found.
For those with irritable bowel syndrome who wonder if stress aggravates their intestinal disorder, the University of Michigan Health System study shows it`s not all in their head.
Researchers revealed that while stress does not cause IBS, it does alter brain-gut interactions and induces the intestinal inflammation that often leads to severe or chronic belly pain, loss of appetite and diarrhoea.
Stress has a way of suppressing an important component called an inflammasome which is needed to maintain normal gut microbiota, but probiotics reversed the effect in animal models, according to findings published in Gastroenterology.
"The effect of stress could be protected with probiotics which reversed the inhibition of the inflammasome," said senior study author John Y Kao from the University of Michigan.
"This study reveals an important mechanism for explaining why treating IBS patients with probiotics makes sense," Kao said in a statement.
Probiotics are live bacteria that help grow the gut-dwelling "good" bacteria that keep pathogens in check, aid digestion and nutrient absorption and contribute to immune function.
Researchers were able to identify the way stress significantly altered the composition of gut bacteria and the role of probiotics.
Inhibiting inflammosomes alters the composition of the gut, leading to intestinal inflammation. In the study, pretreatment with probiotic therapy reduced inflammation in mice with stress-induced small bowel inflammation.
"Additional clinical study is required to determine the optimal probiotic therapy," said Kao.
"Patients can start living healthier lifestyles to improve their gut microbiota such as adding more fruits and vegetables to their diet, and looking for ways to keep stress in check," said Kao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report