Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Broccoli is known as one of the healthiest foods in the planet. Low in calories and rich in dozens of nutrients, this verdant vegetable has a wide variety of nutritional and medicinal benefits.
As per a latest study from the University of Illinois in the US, eating this powerful antioxidant broccoli three or four times a week may be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, asthma and several types of cancer.
Other health benefits of include:
- Broccoli can help lower cholesterol due to high soluble fiber content in the vegetable.
- Broccoli is good for your bone health as it contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K.
- Broccoli can enhance detoxification due to the presence of the dynamic trio of nutrients glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiin and glucobrassicin which neutralize and eliminate unwanted contaminants in the body.
- Broccoli aids in digestion and prevents constipation.
- Broccoli improves eye health due to high concentrations of two carotenoids in it - lutein and zeaxanthin. Both chemicals may help protect against macular degeneration and cataracts.