Red wine compound may help treat common heart condition
Toronto: Resveratrol - a compound found in red wine and nuts - can be used to develop new drugs to treat a common heart condition, scientists have found.
An international research team led by medical scientists at the University of Alberta has shown that new medications based on resveratrol can help treat a common heart-rhythm problem known as atrial fibrillation.
Atrial fibrillation is the most common abnormal heart rhythm problem affecting 1 in 200 people. It carries a five-fold increased risk of stroke, as well as an increased risk of heart failure and death.
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry researcher Peter Light and his colleagues discovered that new resveratrol-based drugs they created that were used in the lab, helped regulate electrical activity in the heart by inhibiting irregular electrical currents, and by reducing the length of abnormal heart-rhythm episodes.
These new medications targeted multiple activities in the cell, whereas current medications for heart rhythm problems target just one or two specific areas.
The team is now working on advancing their drug design.
Light expects that clinical trials with the advanced drug design will start within the next three to five years.
"We are at the next stage of developing a new oral medication for atrial fibrillation that patients could take on a daily basis to prevent this condition from occurring," said Light.
"We are improving the medication's solubility, absorption, how it is metabolised and how long it stays in the blood stream," Light added.
Few medications are currently on the market to help treat atrial fibrillation effectively and those medications may have many serious side effects. Since resveratrol is a natural product, researchers hope the new drug would be better tolerated by the body.
The study was published in the British Journal of Pharmacology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees