`Rice products may be source of high arsenic levels`
New York: Significant levels of arsenic may be found in some prepared food products listing organic brown rice syrup as a sweetener and main ingredient, including some cereal bars and infant formulas, according to findings from a study published on Thursday.
Higher concentrations of inorganic arsenic found in certain infant formulas, some cereal bars and high energy foods prompted Dartmouth College researchers conducting the analysis to call for regulatory limits on arsenic levels in food.
According to the study, one of the two infant formulas tested with organic brown rice syrup as the primary ingredient had arsenic concentrations up to six times the federal safe drinking water limit.
Results showed the cereal bars and energy foods used by endurance athletes that contained organic brown rice syrup also had higher arsenic concentrations than comparable food products without the sweetener.
Organic brown rice syrup is used as a sweetener in some food products as an alternative to high fructose corn syrup, researchers said, and rice can be a major source of inorganic arsenic.
The study, "Arsenic, Organic Foods, and Brown Rice Syrup" was released online in Environmental Health Perspectives, a journal published by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.
The Dartmouth College researchers tested 17 infant formulas, 29 cereal bars and three energy shots that were purchased in the Hanover, New Hampshire area.
The Dartmouth study follows a report last year analyzing arsenic levels in some fruit juices that showed samples exceeding federal limits in place for drinking water and prompted concern from consumer groups.
Juice producers said they were confident the juice being sold is safe for kids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened