Six superfoods to keep your heart healthy
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: A sedentary lifestyle, physical inactivity, unhealthy eating habits and increased stress are making the heart more and more vulnerable. Eating a healthy diet is the key to having a healthy heart.
Here are six must have `superfoods` that can help you keep your heart healthy:
A concentrated source of vitamin E and monounsaturated fatty acids, olives help reduce risk of heart disease by lowering blood pressure and LDL cholesterol. High phenols content in olive oil reduce inflammation, act as an antioxidant and have clot-preventing powers.
Higher consumption of whole grains like oatmeal, barley and brown rice help lower risk of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. Fibre and other nutrients in whole grains help lower cholesterol, insulin and blood sugar levels. It also reduces inflammation and improves blood vessel functioning.
The best way to start your day with, oats are nourishing whole grains which are rich in vitamins, minerals and cholesterol-lowering fibre and best for people dealing with heart disease or diabetes. Oats contain dietary fibre, manganese, selenium, and magnesium. Beta glucan, a soluble fibre in oats helps reduce LDL cholesterol which helps reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.
Green Leafy Vegetables
Adding plenty of green leafy vegetables to your diet can help you ward off heart disease, stroke and control blood pressure. Rich in vitamin and minerals vegetables also help reduce diabetes risk. Foliate in vegetables help keep homocysteine levels down.
`An apple a day keeps the doctor away` the adage is more than enough to state the importance of the fruit that not just helps you have a healthy heart but also helps reduce risk of certain types of cancer. The fruit rich in antioxidant compounds help control cholesterol by preventing reabsorption. Phytochemical called quercetin reduces inflammation and helps prevent blood clots.
Monounsaturated fats from almonds may reduce your risk for heart disease and also lower your low density lipoprotein cholesterol. Almonds are also packed with vitamin E, magnesium and potassium and are a good source of protein and fibre.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!