Nutrient comparison: Chia vs Flax
( 2 tbsp dried)
(2 tbsp grounded)
|Energy||69 Kcal||75 Kcal|
|Fat||4.4 g||6 g|
|Protein||2.3 g||2.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||6 g||4 g|
|Fibre (* 25-30g/day)||20% of RDA*||15% of RDA*|
|Calcium (1000 mg/day)||9% of RDA||4% of RDA|
|Potassium ( 4700mg/day)||2% of RDA||3% of RDA|
|Vitamin B1 ( 1-2 mg/day)||6% of RDA||15% of RDA|
|PUFA||3 g||4 g|
|Selenium ( 55mcg/ day)||11% of RDA||5% of RDA|
While selecting the seed your individual needs matter the most.
- People trying to loose weight chooses Chia for its ability to form gel when mixed with liquid, which has a higher satiety value & makes you feel full.
- It also regulates blood sugar.
- Unlike Flaxseeds, Chia seeds are rich in calcium which is good for strengthening bones.
- They are also rich in selenium which is an antioxidant which helps to fight cancer & heart disease.
- Chia seeds are more expensive as compared to flaxseeds.
- Whereas flaxseeds high in Omega 3 & brain boosting vitamins are good for brain , skin, arteries & preventing inflammation.
- Flaxseeds are rich in lignans which is a kind of antioxidant known as phytochemicals. Lignans helps to reduce cholesterol, improves skin & hair and also reduce menopause symptoms.
- Flaxseeds to be consumed in a ground form to get maximum nutritional benefits.
- Since you can see that they both have benefits that makes them necessary & useful especially for a vegan’s diet.
(Sandhya Gugnani is an expert Nutritionist. Visit her at: www.yournutritionandhealth.com)