`Soft drinks hard on teeth, can cause dental decay`
Sydney: Soft drinks could be hard on your teeth, and cause dental decay, say researchers who looked at the consumption of sugary beverages and fluoridated water.
"There is growing scrutiny of sweet drinks, especially soft drinks, because of a range of detrimental health effects on adults and children," says Jason Armfield from the Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, University of Adelaide`s School of Dentistry, who led the study, involving 16,800 children.
"Tooth decay carries with it significant physical, social and health implications, and we believe the risk of tooth decay should be included in any warnings relating to sweet drinks," the American Journal of Public Health, quoting Armfield, reported.
"Consistent evidence has shown that the high acidity of many sweetened drinks, particularly soft drinks and sports drinks, can be a factor in dental erosion, as well as the sugar itself contributing to tooth decay," says Armfield, according to an Adelaide statement.
"Our study also showed that greater exposure to fluoridated water significantly reduces the association between children`s sweet drink consumption and tooth decay. This reconfirms the benefits of community water fluoridation for oral health.
"Essentially, we need to ensure that children are exposed less to sweet drinks and have greater access to fluoridated water, which will result in significantly improved dental outcomes for children," adds Armfield.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?