Soft drinks make it harder to lose weight: Study
London: Avoid soft drinks, as they could alter the way your body burns fuel and make it harder still to lose weight, says a study.
"This study proves our concerns over sugary drinks have been correct. Not only can regular sugar intake acutely change our body metabolism," said Hans-Peter Kubis of Britain`s Bangor University, who led the research.
"In fact, it seems that our muscles are able to sense the sugars and make our metabolism more inefficient, not only in the present but in the future as well," Kubis added.
The researcher warned that soft drinks can compromise long-term health and advised people to substitute it with plain water instead.
His researchers also showed that isolated muscle cells identify and respond to the sugary diet, and switch how they use the fuel.
"Together with our findings about how drinking soft drinks dulls the perception of sweetness, our new results give a stark warning against regularly drinking sugar sweetened drinks," added Kubis.
The move to an inefficient metabolism was seen in male and female participants who were lightly active, and drinking soft drinks for just four weeks, according to the Daily Mail.
These factors show that regular use of sugar sweetened soft drinks drives alterations in muscles similar to those found in people with obesity problems and type 2 diabetes.
"What is clear is our body adjusts to regular soft drink consumption and prepares itself for the future diet by changing muscle metabolism via altered gene activity - encouraging unhealthy adaptations similar to those seen in people with obesity problems and type 2 diabetes.
"Together with our findings about how drinking soft drinks dulls the perception of sweetness, our new results give a stark warning against regularly drinking sugar sweetened drinks," Kubis said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!