Soon, pill to cure binge eating
London: A drug, which is taken for attention hyperactivity disorder in kids, is showing promise to treat binge eating as well.
Binge Eating Disorder, which affects 1.5million people, is normally treated using psychological therapy.
However, till date there has been no licensed drug for the 30 per cent who fail to respond to counselling.
Last week trials showed a type of amphetamine called Vyvanse could help treating Binge Eating Disorder.
“Patients showed a significant change in eating habits,” the Daily Express quoted Professor Susan McElroy, a psychiatrist at Cincinnati University in the US, who led the trial, as saying.
“We think it targets receptors in the brain that regulate how much a person eats.”
The trial, which involved 277 patients, took three months.
Irish drug firm Shire, the owner of Vyvanse, is now scheduling a final trial phase and it expects that the drug could be available in the next two years.
Binge eating can lead to digestive disorders, heart disease and diabetes.
Drugs such as Vyvanse were used as slimming aids in the Sixties and Seventies but proved to be addictive.
They were banned in the Nineties after some women developed heart disease, but the Vyvanse trial showed no problems.
“This drug has a good safety profile in children with ADHD, who are often on it long-term,” Dr Jeffrey Jonas, of Shire, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly