Soy protein, nuts lower cholesterol
Washington: People who are counselled to eat a diet that combined cholesterol-lowering foods such as soy protein, nuts and plant sterols over 6 months have lower cholesterol levels than those on a low-saturated fat diet, according to a new study.
David J. A. Jenkins, M.D., of St. Michael`s Hospital and the University of Toronto, and colleagues conducted a multi-centre trial to compare the two diets at 6-month follow-up.
The control diet emphasized high fibre and whole grains but lacked components of the portfolio diet, which emphasized dietary incorporation of plant sterols, soy protein, viscous fibres, and nuts.
The study included 351 participants with hyperlipidemia from 4 participating academic centres across Canada (Quebec City, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Vancouver) randomized between June 2007 and February 2009.
Participants received dietary advice for 6 months on either the low-saturated fat therapeutic diet (control) or a routine or intensive dietary portfolio, for which counselling was delivered at different frequencies.
The researchers found that the group on the cholesterol lowering diet had a 13 per cent drop in their LDL (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C)) levels, while those who ate a diet low in saturated fats experienced a 3 per cent decrease.
The study was recently published in JAMA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand