Soy protein, nuts lower cholesterol
Washington: People who are counselled to eat a diet that combined cholesterol-lowering foods such as soy protein, nuts and plant sterols over 6 months have lower cholesterol levels than those on a low-saturated fat diet, according to a new study.
David J. A. Jenkins, M.D., of St. Michael`s Hospital and the University of Toronto, and colleagues conducted a multi-centre trial to compare the two diets at 6-month follow-up.
The control diet emphasized high fibre and whole grains but lacked components of the portfolio diet, which emphasized dietary incorporation of plant sterols, soy protein, viscous fibres, and nuts.
The study included 351 participants with hyperlipidemia from 4 participating academic centres across Canada (Quebec City, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Vancouver) randomized between June 2007 and February 2009.
Participants received dietary advice for 6 months on either the low-saturated fat therapeutic diet (control) or a routine or intensive dietary portfolio, for which counselling was delivered at different frequencies.
The researchers found that the group on the cholesterol lowering diet had a 13 per cent drop in their LDL (low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C)) levels, while those who ate a diet low in saturated fats experienced a 3 per cent decrease.
The study was recently published in JAMA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?