Spanish cold soup Gazpacho may help bring down BP
London: Researchers say a regular bowl of gazpacho soup could be the key to beating high blood pressure.
The cold Spanish dish is made up of a range of superfoods including tomato, cucumber, garlic and olive oil.
Even though gazpacho contains salt, which people with high blood pressure are told to avoid, scientists at the University of Barcelona found that those who regularly had the dish saw their levels drop, the Daily Express reported.
And they believe the soup could be used to help prevent the condition, reducing the risk of developing hypertension by as much as 27 per cent.
The reason may be that bioactive elements of gazpacho counteract the effect of salt ingestion, according to Professor Rosa Lamuela, coordinator of the study.
The research, into the effects of a Mediterranean diet on people at high risk of cardiovascular diseases, looked at 3,995 eating gazpacho.
The latest findings were published in the journal Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours