Top five superfoods for strong bones
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Our bones, which provide support for our bodies and help form our shape need to be taken care of as we age, particularly after the years of 30. Yet, diet plays an important part as eating the right foods can help you maintain good bone health, thereby preventing or slowing the progression of osteoporosis - the brittle bone disease.
Here are top five superfoods that can boost your bone density at any age:
Milk: Milk is of the best source of calcium needed for proper bone growth. Experts suggest that adults should eat at least 700mg of calcium a day, and 1,200mg if diagnosed with osteoporosis.
As per the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), low fat or fat-free milk is the best choice since it has high calcium content without the added fat and this facilitates easy absorption of calcium by the body.
Apart from calcium, milk is also rich in nutrients like potassium, magnesium, riboflavin, phosphorus and Vitamins D, A and B12, all of which are essential for healthy bones.
People who don't like milk can take other calcium-rich foods such as yoghurt, cheese as a substitute for maintaining strong bone health.
Sardines: A rich source of both calcium and vitamin D, these tiny fish bones can do wonders in building your bone mass.
Salmon: Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, salmon and other types of fatty fish has bone-boosting properties. They also contain vitamin D, which helps in calcium absorption. Research has shown that fish oil supplements reduce bone loss in women, which may help in preventing osteoporasis.
Green leafy Veggies: Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach and broccoli are rish sources of calcium and vitamin D. Also, collards and turnip greens contain a lot of calcium.
Nuts and Seeds: Nuts like walnuts, flaxseeds, pistachios are not just rich in calcium, but are also great sources of omega-3 fatty acids and minerals that can bolster bone health in many ways. Peanuts and almonds contain potassium, which can help prevent loss of calcium in urine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video