Top ten energy boosting foods
Fatigue or tiredness, lethargy, etc., can be caused by overexertion, both mental and physical, sleep deprivation, anxiety, depression, illness or overall health condition.
For most people, a busy and stressful lifestyle is the main culprit that drains away our energy. A spell of rest can do you good but if you can make changes in your lifestyle like getting regular exercise, adequate sleep, managing stress and adopting healthy diet, your fitness and mental alertness will be altered in the long run.
Avoid stimulants if you are looking for a quick fix; instead eat healthy, energy giving foods which will raise your energy levels throughout the day.
Beans and lentils
Beans and lentils are low in fat and calories except for soybean, but are rich in protein, carbohydrate, potassium, B vitamin and iron, which will give a burst in energy level.
Dehydration can make you feel sluggish, so drink lots of water as it will keep the body cells hydrated and working at optimum level.
Foods contain glucose which is metabolized by the body to produce energy. Eat fruits like grapes, cranberries, banana, apple and citrus fruits as they are high in fructose, fibre, potassium, vitamins which will keep you energized.
Nuts are great energy builders, rich in omega 3-fatty acids, protein, iron, riboflavin, calcium and magnesium. Iron and magnesium deficiencies are linked to low energy levels.
Green leafy vegetables
Green leafy veggies contain vitamins and minerals like Folate, Vitamins B, C and K, magnesium and iron which will promote energy throughout the day.
Dark chocolate is an excellent source of iron and magnesium. A bar of dark chocolate can give you an extra punch as it also contains caffeine and theobromine.
Whole grain foods supply your body with more protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals than refined grains and will keep you energized for a long time.
Salmon has high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins which metabolize food into energy.
Yogurt contains protein, carbohydrate and magnesium which boost energy levels. It also contains Tyrosine which is an amino acid that turns adrenaline and dopamine into energy.
An egg can provide 30% of your daily value of protein as it contains the highest complete form of protein in any food. It is also high in iron and choline, a type of B vitamin which is involved in metabolism.
Compiled by Philaso Kaping
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo