Trans fats can saddle you with belligerence
Washington: Dietary trans fatty acids (dTFAs) may enhance taste but can leave you more irritable and belligerent, according to a new study.
Based on a survey of 945 men and women, it provides the first evidence linking dTFAs with adverse behaviour that impacted others, ranging from impatience to overt aggression.
Dietary trans fatty acids are primarily products of hydrogenation, which makes unsaturated oils solid at room temperature, the journal Public Library of Science ONE reported.
Adverse health effects of dTFAs have been identified in lipid levels, metabolic function, insulin resistance, oxidation, inflammation and cardiac health, according to a university statement.
The team led by Beatrice Golomb, associate professor at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, used baseline dietary information of participants to analyse the relationship between dTFAs and aggression or irritability.
"We found that greater trans fatty acids were significantly associated with greater aggression, and were more consistently predictive of aggression and irritability, across the measures tested, than the other known aggression predictors that were assessed," said Golomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog