Walnuts can slash diabetes risk by a quarter: Study
London: Eating walnuts two or three times a week can lower the risk of developing type two diabetes in women by a almost a quarter, new research has claimed.
Researchers studied nearly 140,000 women in the US and found that those who ate a 28 gramme packet of walnuts at least twice a week were 24 per cent less likely to develop type two diabetes than those who rarely or never ate them.
While previous research has shown the anti-diabetic effects of walnuts, the new study is believed to be one of the largest to find that regularly snacking on them can help prevent the condition.
Although the latest research was conducted on female nurses, it`s likely that the same benefits apply to men, researchers said.
Scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, tracked 137,893 nurses aged from 35 to 77 over a ten year period to see how many developed type two diabetes, The Telegraph reported
Their dietary habits were closely monitored, including details on how often they ate nuts, particularly walnuts.
After allowing for body fat and weight, the researchers found eating walnuts one to three times a month curbed the risk by four per cent, once a week by 13 per cent and at least twice a week by 24 per cent.
"Our results suggest higher walnut consumption is associated with a significantly lower risk of type two diabetes in women," researchers said in the study published in the Journal of Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?