What you need to know about dietary supplements!
Dietary supplements might help you get adequate amounts of essential nutrients, but they have risks and side effects in the body.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Many diet supplements are considered harmless and effective, especially at creating a sense of fullness, burning fats while boosting your metabolism.
Diet supplements include vitamins, minerals, herbs, botanicals, enzymes, amino acids, or other dietary ingredients.
Dietary supplements might help you get adequate amounts of essential nutrients, especially if you don't eat a nutritious foods. But, like drugs, supplements have risks and side effects in the body.
Here are some important things to know before taking a diet supplement:
- Certain supplements can cause adverse effect when people take them with other supplements/drugs.
- Taking too much of a supplement can damage your liver. Many dietary supplements go through the liver for processing and can be toxic to the vital organ.
- Herbal supplements are unsafe if you have kidney disease since most of them contain herbs that can cause damage to your kidneys or may even worsen the condition.
- Taking dietary supplements can be risky for people getting cancer treatment. Some supplements can cause skin sensitivity and severe reactions when taken during radiation treatment.
- A number of herbal supplements also contain ingredients that can cause heart problems or seizures.
Avoid taking supplements to treat a health condition that you've diagnosed yourself, without consulting a health care provider. Always check with your health care providers before taking any supplements to avoid possible side effects of it.