Why no one can eat just one potato chip
Washington: The scientific secrets underpinning that awful reality about potato chips - eat one and you`re apt to scarf `em all down, has now been revealed.
The research presented at the 245th National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society, the world`s largest scientific society, which news media have termed "The World Series of Science," features almost 12,000 presentations on new discoveries and other topics.
Tobias Hoch, Ph.D., from the FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg, in Erlangen, Germany, who conducted the study, said the results shed light on the causes of a condition called "hedonic hyperphagia" that plagues hundreds of millions of people around the world.
"That`s the scientific term for `eating to excess for pleasure, rather than hunger`," Hoch said.
"It`s recreational over-eating that may occur in almost everyone at some time in life. And the chronic form is a key factor in the epidemic of overweight and obesity that here in the United States threatens health problems for two out of every three people," he said.
With recent studies showing that two-thirds of Americans are obese or overweight, this kind of recreational over-eating continues to be a major problem, health care officials say.
Among the reasons why people are attracted to these foods, even on a full stomach, was suspected to be the high ratio of fats and carbohydrates, which send a pleasing message to the brain, according to the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi