Why no one can eat just one potato chip
Washington: The scientific secrets underpinning that awful reality about potato chips - eat one and you`re apt to scarf `em all down, has now been revealed.
The research presented at the 245th National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society, the world`s largest scientific society, which news media have termed "The World Series of Science," features almost 12,000 presentations on new discoveries and other topics.
Tobias Hoch, Ph.D., from the FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg, in Erlangen, Germany, who conducted the study, said the results shed light on the causes of a condition called "hedonic hyperphagia" that plagues hundreds of millions of people around the world.
"That`s the scientific term for `eating to excess for pleasure, rather than hunger`," Hoch said.
"It`s recreational over-eating that may occur in almost everyone at some time in life. And the chronic form is a key factor in the epidemic of overweight and obesity that here in the United States threatens health problems for two out of every three people," he said.
With recent studies showing that two-thirds of Americans are obese or overweight, this kind of recreational over-eating continues to be a major problem, health care officials say.
Among the reasons why people are attracted to these foods, even on a full stomach, was suspected to be the high ratio of fats and carbohydrates, which send a pleasing message to the brain, according to the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mark Zuckerberg to connect with ISS astronauts via Facebook Live
- Top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander surrenders in Kashmir
- Darshan Kumaar, Randeep Hooda and Vijender Singh showcase 'Jat power punch'! See pic
- Fifty years after his death, VD Savarkar trending on Twitter: Know why
- BSER Rajasthan Board Class 12 (Arts) Examination Results 2016 to be declared soon on rajresults.nic.in and rajeduboard.nic.in