Why you should keep your dieting plans a secret
London: Abstaining yourself from revealing your weight loss plan could be the key to successful accomplishment of your goal, a new study has revealed.
A study from New York University revealed that those who shared details of their regimes with family and friends were less likely to meet their goals.
According to the researchers, positive recognition people get when they discuss their diet can be interpreted as accomplishment, as a result of which dieters are less likely to stick to their plan as strictly as before.
“The danger is that you feel that you have already reached the goal and because of that you don’t have to act on it any more,” the Daily Mail quoted Professor of psychology Dr Peter Gollwitzer, who lead the study, as telling a leading website.
He gave tips to dieters, which could help them in following their weight loss regime successfully.
“One is simple - you can keep your mouth shut.”
“Another one is to form different kinds of intentions, not only say what you want to do but also when, where and how you want to do it.”
He said that by describing our objective, we mentally map out our future, so are more likely to follow through.
The third solution, he continued, was to only share your weight-loss plan with a trusted few, who can help you keep on course.
Tara Harwood, a registered dietician echoed his advice.
“You have to be very particular on who you choose. Make sure they are people who are going to encourage you and not hinder you and your success,” she told Fox News.
“So, you do want to tell some people, however, for the most part keep it to yourself and let other people gradually notice these changes in you,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources