Yogurt lovers have better diets: Study
New York: People who eat yogurt may enjoy a better-balanced diet and get more key nutrients than those who never consume the cultured dairy product, according to a new study.
People who said they ate yogurt also reported consuming higher amounts of other healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish and whole grains, than people who did not eat yogurt.
Their diets obtained fewer calories from processed meats, refined grains and beer than did the diets of non-yogurt eaters, according to the study, `Myhealthnewsdaily` reported.
"Yogurt is a very good source of many shortfall nutrients ? calcium, potassium, and magnesium - that Americans don`t currently consume enough of," said researcher Paul Jacques of Tufts University.
"Yogurt is a good way to meet your dietary requirements for nutrients that you may not be currently eating," said Jacques.
Researchers analysed data collected from slightly more than 6,500 adults, aged 19 to 89, all of them either the children or grandchildren of the original participants in the Framingham Heart Study.
That Massachusetts-based study, which began in 1948 and followed its subjects for nearly 50 years, attempted to identify common causes of heart attack and stroke in a large group of people who had not yet developed these problems.
Researchers found that 53.8 per cent of the participants ate yogurt. Among the women, 64 per cent were yogurt-eaters; among the men, 41 per cent ate yogurt.
The average amount of yogurt eaten was two and one-quarter cups a week. Yogurt accounted for between 1 per cent and 6 per cent of daily calories depending upon how much people ate.
They also were 48 per cent less likely to have inadequate levels of calcium; 38 per cent less likely to be deficient in magnesium; and 55 per cent less apt to have shortfalls of vitamin B12, a nutrient lacking in some older people`s diets.
We found that yogurt consumers had higher intakes of just about every nutrient we measured. If people substitute yogurt for less healthy foods in the diet, it may help eliminate the inadequate intake of shortfall nutrients," Jacques said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview