Genetic markers for breast cancer identified
Washington: Innovative studies have explored a number of promising pathways for treatment and new targets for preventing the spread of breast cancer.
In these studies, a multidisciplinary approach was applied to analyse the molecular basis of breast cancer bone metastasis, combining tools to analyse genomic information with animal models and clinical analysis of cancer metastasis.
Candidate genes, including one dependent on EGFR 3 (Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor), and a TGFb (Transforming Growth Factor-beta) target gene called Jagged1 were identified.
The study revealed a network of molecular crosstalk between tumour and bone cells using Jagged1 in tumour cells, EGFR in bone cells and TGFb released from damaged bone.
Such pathological tumour-host tissue interactions eventually lead to tumour expansion and bone destructions.
Targeting these pathways can reduce the development of bone metastasis and provide new avenues for managing the progression of the disease to the bones.
“We are excited to have identified new genetic markers for patients at high risk for bone metastasis, which may provide additional potential targets for preventing and treating the disease,” said Dr. Yibin Kang of Princeton University.
They studies will be presented this week at the Era of Hope conference, a scientific meeting hosted by the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report