Aus researchers discover protein to protect fertility
Melbourne: Australian researchers claimed to have made a discovery which they say can offer hope to women whose fertility might be affected due to cancer therapy or premature menopause.
The scientists said that they found that two proteins which make egg cells die in the ovaries when their DNA is damaged by radiation or chemotherapy, could make women infertile, ABC news channel reported.
Clare Scott of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute said egg cells that were missing the PUMA protein survived the radiation and repaired their DNA.
"What we found was that if you have an egg cell that doesn`t have this PUMA protein, it can actually survive DNA damage by repairing its DNA," she said.
"This had not been known before. We didn`t know if these very specialised egg cells were capable of repairing DNA and going on to produce normal offspring," she said, adding the finding might lead to new strategies to protect fertility, by blocking the proteins.
"In the mice that we worked with, we found that if PUMA was missing, then normal offspring could result," she said.
"That has great excitement for our understanding of how to come up with a new treatment to prevent infertility," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City