Deep voice may signal lower sperm count
London: A deep voice, which is typically seen as a sign of supreme manliness and found to be attractive by women, can also be a sign of lower sperm count, a new study has found.
Leigh Simmons, Marianne Peters and Gillian Rhodes from the University of Western Australia say that while men with deep voices may have more testosterone, too much of it can reduce the amount of sperm it ejaculates.
The result came as a surprise because it’s widely accepted that females use traits such as a deep voice, hairiness and muscle size as a way of sensing a man’s virility, which is the same in the animal kingdom.
The investigation began by establishing that women did indeed find a deep voice an attractive quality in a man, after listening to the voice recordings of 54 men aged between 18 and 32.
Those men were also asked to provide a sperm samples.
After noting that lower sperm counts were associated with the men with deeper voices, the researchers concluded that perhaps some sort of trade-off was taking place.
They believe it could be nature’s way of balancing things out, so that if one has the voice and muscles women love so much, they lose out on the virility front.
However, all the sperm counts measured were within healthy parameters.
The study has been published in the journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what