Drink pomegranate juice daily `to boost sexual desire`
London: Want to boost your sex drive? Forget pills. Just drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily -- at least for 15 days, says a new study.
Researchers at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh have found that men and women who drank a daily glass of the fruit juice for a fortnight experienced a surge in the hormone testosterone, which increases sexual desire in both genders.
The study involved 58 volunteers aged between 21 and 64. By the end of the fortnight both sexes had seen "significantly increased" testosterone levels. For men this affects traits such as facial hair, a deep voice and greater sexual urges.
It is also produced in female adrenal glands and ovaries, raising a woman`s sex drive and strengthening bones and muscles, says the study.
As a side effect, increased testosterone can help raise mood and memory and even relieve stress such as "pre-match nerves" or stage fright, according to the researchers.
The Edinburgh research measured testosterone levels, blood pressure and, using a scientific scale, levels of 11 emotions including fear, sadness, guilt, shyness and self- assurance, a newspaper reported.
Testosterone levels increased between 16 per cent and 30 per cent among the subjects, while blood pressure plummeted. Positive emotions rose and negative feelings fell.
Previous research on pomegranate juice has found it full of antioxidants which can help ward off heart diseases and help blood circulation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy