In Singapore, get secret HIV test done in van
Singapore: In a first-of-its-kind service in Southeast Asia, a community organisation in Singapore has launched a mobile service van that would conduct HIV tests and also keep the person`s identity and the test results a secret.
Action for AIDS Singapore launched the test service Wednesday, Xinhua reported.
The van is equipped with clinical facilities to conduct HIV and syphilis tests. It will travel with two specially-trained staff and will be "parked in a discreet manner", where the entrance is not in clear view to the public.
The results will be disclosed within 20 minutes and kept strictly confidential.
No personal particulars like name and addresses will be taken. When in the van, the person being tested will be given a serial number for registration before the quick HIV test.
If the results are found to be positive, the person will be recommended to go for a full blood test at an anonymous clinic. Counselling and risk assessment will also be conducted.
The service would be easily accessible because tests can be done at irregular hours as opposed to standard hours at a clinic, said Mobile Testing Service manager Anwar Hashim.
"The timing is unique.... in the evening, in late hours or even weekends. By having this van on site, it will enhance and value-add the programme and also create opportunity for the members of public to do testing," he said.
The organisation hopes the service will reverse the low rate of HIV tests in Singapore.
Action for AIDS president Roy Tan spoke about the need to bring HIV tests to the community rather than asking members of the public to come to clinics and take tests themselves.
It`s all about making HIV testing "more accessible" to them, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Bihar polls: Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Monsoon likely to hit Kerala next week; heatwave death toll climbs to 2,005