Junk food can make healthy lads infertile
London: A new study has revealed that junk food can make healthy young men infertile by damaging their sperm.
And “trans fats” — processed oils used to improve food taste cheaply — are among the worst culprits, the Sun reported.
Fertility doctors from America’s Harvard University and the University of Murcia, Spain, analysed sperm from hundreds of men aged between 18 and 22.
They found those who ate a high proportion of junk food — takeaways, fried foods, processed red meats, crisps, biscuits and cakes — had poorer quality sperm than those on a nutritious daily diet.
Their sperm was found less likely to survive the journey to fertilise an egg, even if the lads were a healthy weight and exercised.
And those whose diet included the highest level of trans fats — listed on labels as “hydrogenated oil” and found naturally in many fried foods — had the worst quality sperm.
According to the results a diet of wholegrain with lots of vegetables and fish produced the best quality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation