Live-in couples split after marriage
New Delhi: Couples who live together before they get married are less likely to stay married, according to a report.
The UK-based Christian think-tank Jubilee Centre said that living together had become `a more fragile state of relationship than ever before`.
It said that couples who cohabited before marriage were 45 per cent more likely to split than those who waited until after the wedding.
The think-tank also discovered that more couples are cohabiting than ever before - with the average time living together before tying the knot doubling to three-and-a-half years in the past four decades.
"Despite the popularity of cohabitation and its relationship to marriage, it is also the case that marriages that start with a period of prior cohabitation are significantly more prone to divorce than those that do not," the Daily Mail quoted Dr John Hayward and Dr Guy Brandon as saying in the report.
"Where there has been a previous cohabitation with a separate person by one of both partners, the likelihood of divorce soars," they added.
The researchers looked at 14,103 households and 22,265 adults, and found that couples who never marry are six times more likely to split by the time their first child is five.
"This suggests that cohabitation is now being treated somewhat differently to the way it was in the 1960s and 70s," said the report ` Cohabitation: An Alternative to Marriage?`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP