10 anti-ageing superfoods
Who doesn’t want to stay young forever? In a quest to look young, people adopt crazy diets, undergo surgery and take jabs of botox. But why indulge in these activities when you can achieve what you want by just switching to healthy food. So throw aside those wonder creams and injections and add these foods to your daily diet to add those extra years to your life!
Whole grains can lower the risk of age-related illnesses such as cardiovascular disease and cancer because they are rich in fibres, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. And an added benefit is that, that they are digested more slowly than processed grains. Whole grain foods such as wild and brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat and rye, bulgar can be a very effective part of an anti-aging plan.
Olive oil contains polyphenols; powerful antioxidants that may help prevent age-related diseases. Monounsaturated fats in olive oil readily reduce the risk of heart diseases. Extra virgin olive oil contains high concentrations of natural antioxidants such as vitamin A and E which aid in skin repair and renewal.
Yogurt is rich in calcium which helps starve off osteoporosis and contains ‘good bacteria’ that help maintain gut health and diminish the incidence of age-related intestinal illness .Also when applied to the skin yogurt moisturizes, fights acne, prevents premature aging, relieves sunburn and reduces discoloration. The lactic acid in yogurt dissolves dead skin and tightens pores. So it’s an all-around beauty multitasker.
Fish is an abundant source of omega-3 fats which helps prevent cholesterol buildup in arteries and protects against abnormal heart rhythms.Studies show that people who eat a fish-rich diet are less likely to suffer a fatal heart attack and have a greater longevity.
Made of cacao, dark chocolate contains more antioxidants than almost any other food.It is a rich source of polyphenols like catechin, epicatechin and procyanidins. These strong antioxidants help promote opening of the blood vessels and protects the nerves from injury and inflammation.
Nuts are rich sources of unsaturated fats and concentrated sources of vitamins, minerals and other phytochemicals, including antioxidants. Nuts also contain omega-3 essential fatty acids that help regulate your cholesterol and may improve your brain functioning.
Red wine has resveratrol, a compound that activate genes that slow cellular aging. Heart healthy red wine, made with the dark skin and seeds of grapes, is rich in polyphenols. After many debates and researches, results have confirmed that resveratrol stimulates production of SIRT1, a serum that blocks diseases by speeding up the cell’s energy production centers (mitrochondria).
Blueberries have the highest antioxidant quotient of all berrie species.Blueberries are anti-bacterial and antiviral - full of special antioxidant molecules (polyphenol) that have been shown to stop replication of the hepatitis C virus. It has all kinds of elements such as tannins, flavinoids, iron, manganese, Vitamin C and E, antioxidants and phytochemicals which can prevent serious illness and disease.
Broccoli is a superb anti- aging food rich in vitamin C and folate that works to stimulate vitamin D. Apart from that, it contains a chemical known as sulforaphane, which works to prevent free radicals from breaking down in your body and slows down the ageing process.
Tomatoes are the pefect anti ageing weapon. Tomatoes provide lycopene (the natural pigment that makes tomatoes red) which helps prevent heart disease, elevated cholesterol and cancer. Lycopene acts as natural sun block, preventing the UV damage that causes sun spots, dryness and wrinkles and keeps the skin young.
So include all these anti-ageing foods in your daily diet to get that ageless, flawless skin and postpone the inevitable effects of natural ageing.
Compilation by: Ritu Singh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Monsoon likely to hit Kerala next week; heatwave death toll climbs to 2,005