5 easy tips to get rid of back pain
Having a back pain is irritating. And most of us experience this problem at some point, forcing us to visit a doctor. Back pain can be of different forms - ranging from a constant dull ache to abrupt sharp soreness resulting from various reasons.
Back pain happens due to a sprain or other accidental injury. Diseases such as arthritis (inflammation of one or more joints), fibromyalgia (a disorder that causes muscle pain and fatigue), and spinal stenosis (abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal that may occur in any of the regions of the spine) also cause back pain. Some people get back pain due to overweight or sedentary.
However, here are some simple self-help tips you can follow for a quick and effective back pain relief:
Exercise: Regular physical activity is often the best remedy for back pain. Health experts suggest that simple exercise like walking can be very helpful as people gets out of their sitting posture and puts the body in a neutral and upright position.
It is always best to consult your physician or orthopaedist for a list of low-impact exercises suitable for your age as well as the types of pain that you have.
Stretch: Apart from exercise, stretching is vital for preventing back pain and staying flexible. Stretching is helpful in recovering from a back injury. Always stretch before exercise or other strenuous physical activity and also before bed.
Sleep well: Always sleep on a firm surface for back pain relief rather than soft mattresses that push your back out of alignment. Also, sleep on your side to shrink any curve in your spine.
Maintain good posture: Poor posture can lead to back pain or other health issues. If you are standing, stand up straight and keep your weight balanced on your feet. Make sure that your feet are shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly relaxed. Your shoulders should be straight and are in a straight line with your ears and hips.
While sitting, sit in a chair that is designed to keep your back straight. Switch your sitting positions often and taking periodical walk around the office will help relieve stress. If you need to sit for a long period of time, rest your feet on a low stool or on a foot rest.
Keep a healthy weight: Eat a healthy diet filled with fruits and vegetables and low on processed foods to avoid excessive weight. Staying fit is one of the best remedies for back pain as extra pounds can stress your back causing further hurt.
Quit smoking: Smoking doesn’t just damage your lungs, it can also impair your back.
Smoking cuts blood flow to the lower spine and causes the spinal discs to degenerate.
Studies have shown that smokers are more likely to have back pain than their peers who do not smoke.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’