5 easy ways to add extra years to your life
Cutting down on smoke, limiting alcohol intake, eating a healthy diet and regular exercise are few ways that could add extra years to your life.
Quit smoking: Smokers more than triple their risk of dying early compared to nonsmokers. A new research has found that women who stop smoking before 40 live a decade longer than those who keep puffing into later life.
Kicking the habit before middle age nearly eliminates the risk of premature death, and women who ditch the cigs in their 30s have even better odds of a long life. The reason - fewer years of overall exposure to cigarette toxins that are linked to lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke.
Limit alcohol intake: Research confirms that moderate drinking (one glass per day for women) slash risk of heart disease up to 40 percent.
However, binge drinking can cause liver problems, reduced fertility, high blood pressure, increased risk of various cancers and heart attack.
Avoid stress: Stress can increase your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and obesity – all things that take years off your life.
Workout: Studies show that working out may lower a woman’s risk of breast cancer by 37 percent, osteoporosis by 45 percent, and heart disease by 14 percent.
A combination of cardio and weight training boosts metabolism and burns fat, keeping heart disease at bay.
Maintaining a healthy weight not only keeps you looking hot in your hip-huggers, it wards off heart attacks and diabetes, too.
To see if you’re a healthy size, check the circumference of your waist around your belly button. That number should be less than half your height.
So if you’re 5’2,” your waist should be less than 31 inches.
Have healthy food: Avoid processed foods laden with trans fats. This type of fat packs on the most belly blubber, so limit yourself to 2 grams daily
Healthy women who eat soy at least once a week cut their risk of breast cancer by 50 percent, however, processed soy may actually rev up cancer cells.
Stick to natural staples such as edamame, tofu, soy milk, and miso. Add enough green leafy vegetables, fruits to your diet to improve life expectancy.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA