5 Health tips for stronger bones
Healthier bones contribute a great deal to a healthy body. Building strong bones now may protect you from osteoporosis later. Here are some quick tips for keeping your bones strong and healthy.
Vitamin D and Calcium: Lactose from the milk is important. For those with Lactose intolerance, Vitamin D and calcium can be obtained from soy milk that is fortified with 30% of the daily value of calcium and vitamin D. Fortified cereals, broccoli and fortified juices also are a good source of calcium.
Nuts and Seeds: Apart from dairy products, eating nuts and seeds is also beneficial as they are a good source of minerals. For example, one ounce of almonds contains 75mg of calcium while 1 ounce of sesame seeds contains 37mg of calcium.
Vegetables: Eating a variety of beta-carotene rich vegetables helps in meeting the bones vitamin A requirement. Beta-carotene rich vegetables include carrots, sweet potatoes and cantaloupe.
Vitamin-K: A serving of spinach or two servings of broccoli help meet the requirement. Vitamin K is also essential for healthier bones.
Exercise Regularly: Apart from eating well it is also important to exercise. Weight-bearing exercises such as walking, aerobics, basketball and weightlifting also help keep the bones strong.
Vital at every age for healthy bones, exercise is important for treating and preventing osteoporosis. Not only does exercise improve your bone health, it also increases muscle strength, coordination, and balance, and it leads to better overall health.
For those eating calcium supplements and suffer from gastrointestinal issues after starting supplements, first try eating more fibre and drinking more fluids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’