Anti-aging strategies can boost self-esteem
Washington: Anti-aging strategies like using creams and skin-improvement methods can improve appearance and boost self esteem, say experts.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) offers advice on how to slow aging and boost self-esteem.
"Photoaging or the changes induced by chronic UV exposure is responsible for accelerating the skin's aging process," said Marian Northington, M.D, director of UAB Cosmetic Dermatology.
"The No. 1 way people can prevent photoaging is wearing a 30-plus SPF sunscreen, one that contains zinc oxide, every day," Northington said.
If it is too late, and the sun has already done its damage, or for people who are older, there are ways to diminish the signs of aging.
"Using an over-the-counter cream with retinol, which is a vitamin A derivative, can decrease the risk of skin cancer and improve skin pigmentation and abnormalities. It will also increase collagen content to help with lines and wrinkles," Northington said.
Northington said studies have shown some dermatologic skin-improvement methods have benefits beyond an improved appearance.
Josh Klapow, Ph.D., associate professor in the UAB School of Public Health and a psychologist, echoes this notion.
"Outward appearance can have a significant impact on a person's self-esteem, so 'looking better' both in one's own eyes and in the eyes of others can add to self-esteem," Klapow said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata