Anti-aging strategies can boost self-esteem
Washington: Anti-aging strategies like using creams and skin-improvement methods can improve appearance and boost self esteem, say experts.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) offers advice on how to slow aging and boost self-esteem.
"Photoaging or the changes induced by chronic UV exposure is responsible for accelerating the skin's aging process," said Marian Northington, M.D, director of UAB Cosmetic Dermatology.
"The No. 1 way people can prevent photoaging is wearing a 30-plus SPF sunscreen, one that contains zinc oxide, every day," Northington said.
If it is too late, and the sun has already done its damage, or for people who are older, there are ways to diminish the signs of aging.
"Using an over-the-counter cream with retinol, which is a vitamin A derivative, can decrease the risk of skin cancer and improve skin pigmentation and abnormalities. It will also increase collagen content to help with lines and wrinkles," Northington said.
Northington said studies have shown some dermatologic skin-improvement methods have benefits beyond an improved appearance.
Josh Klapow, Ph.D., associate professor in the UAB School of Public Health and a psychologist, echoes this notion.
"Outward appearance can have a significant impact on a person's self-esteem, so 'looking better' both in one's own eyes and in the eyes of others can add to self-esteem," Klapow said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested