Break your Karva Chauth fast the healthy way
Karva Chauth - a tradition originally associated with North India has now become a fad among Hindu women across the country.
Though, fasting can help detoxify your body, it can also leave you feeling weak and dehydrated, raise the acidic levels in your stomach and even lower your blood pressure.
Here are a few tips on how you should break your fast the healthy way:
- Avoid tea or any caffeinated drink: Starving your body the whole day raises the acidity levels in your stomach and consuming tea or any other caffeinated drink immediately after the fast can raise it further, leaving you feeling bloated. So tea or coffee post the fast is a strict no.
- Avoid oily food: Eating out after the fasting ends has become a growing trend among the urban women. However, dining at restaurants can back fire as you tend to gorge on oily and spicy food which leaves you feeling bloated and nauseous. In case you plan to dine out make sure you stick to salads and healthier alternatives.
- Consume proteins, avoid carbohydrates: Consume food high in proteins and low in carbohydrates. Avoid having rice as it is high in calories and the system will have to work over time to digest it. Since your blood glucose levels have fallen low, eating nuts like almonds, walnuts etc can help boost your energy levels. Oats, which has high fibre content, is a very good alternative as it helps curb the gas.
- Have yogurt: A bowl of fresh creamy yogurt can help to restore the intestinal flora as it contains good digestive enzymes.
- Drink water, juices: Since your body was deprived of water the whole day, make sure you consume 3-4 glasses of liquids until you sleep. Treat your body to healthy fruit juices. A glass of lemonade may also aid digestion by cutting down the acid in your empty stomach.
Compiled by: Liji Varghese
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'