Cancer prevention: What you can do to reduce your risk!
Here are some useful tips for cancer prevention.
Zee Media Bureau
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: India, with 3.5 lakh people succumbing to the disease every year, is seeing a rapid rise in the incidence of cancer cases.
A survey by Metropolis Healthcare Ltd reveals breat cancer as the most common cancer in India, followed by cancers of lip, oral cavity, colorectum, cervic uteri, prostate and lung.
Metropolis conducted a comprehensive study on 47,995 Histology samples for a period of one year to understand the pattern of incidence of various organ cancers.
Signs and symptoms caused by cancer vary with some people developing a new lump, abnormal bleeding, a prolonged cough, and unexplained weight loss, changes in bowel or bladder habits.
The earlier the cancer is diagnosed and treated, the better the chance of it being cured.
Here are some useful tips for cancer prevention-
- Physically active for at least 30 minutes every day
- Avoid sugary drinks, and limit consumption of high-calorie foods, especially those low in fiber and rich in fat or added sugar
- Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes (such as beans
- Limit consumption of red meats (including beef, pork, and lamb) and avoid processed meats
- If you drink alcohol, limit your daily intake to two drinks for men and one drink for women
- Limit consumption of salty foods and food processed with salt (sodium)
- Mothers should exclusively breastfeed their babies for up to six months
- After treatment, cancer survivors should follow the doctors recommendations for cancer prevention and regular monitoring and undergoing routine and preventive tests is must