Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: Do you have trouble chewing, swallowing or even talking? Do you often wake up at night feeling thirsty? Is bad breath or tooth decay a frequent problems for you?
Probably, you might be suffering from dry mouth though these are just a few of the common symptoms of the condition.
Dry mouth occurs when your body doesn't make enough saliva to keep your mouth moist. It can be caused by a number of conditions – medications, certain diseases and conditions, nerve damage to the salivary glands, cancer therapy, poor lifestyle choices such as smoking or chewing tobaco.
If left untreated, dry mouth lead to serious dental problems such as cavities and mouth infections.
But you can take up several steps to relieve or control your dry mouth symptoms. Here's how-
- If you think the problem is a side effect of a medication you're taking, talk to your doctor. He can give better suggestion to tackle your problems.
- Drink plenty of water as this will help keep your mouth moist.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugar-free candies to stimulate your salivary glands.
- Breathe through your nose, and not your mouth.
- Try using a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air.
- Brush and floss your teeth often, atleast 2-3 times a day.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol as these can woesen your symptoms.
- Cut back on sugary or spicy foods.
- Avoid all tobacco products
- Avoid over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants as these can make a dry mouth worse.