Zee Media Bureau/Udita Madan
New Delhi: Ageing is a condition which every adult thinks about with progressing age.
Will they age gracefully or will they counter various age-related problems? Crow's feet, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, joint pains, weak bone health, etc. are some of the problems that come along with age.
But, eating healthy and eating smart can slow down the process of ageing. It's just a matter of smart food choices and eating habits.
Along with slowing down the process of ageing, your eating habits can also prolong your longevity,
Want to know what they are? Read on below to find out!
1. Hair and joints: Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), found in a variety of fruits, vegetables and grains is an organic compound full of sulphur. It is known to improve joint function and help maintain joint cartilage because joints require sulphur and cysteine for healthy function.
2. Soy foods: Soy or soy protein is regarded as one of the best anti-ageing food. Eating soy-based foods lower inflammation besides promoting healthy sex hormone levels. Include miso, tofu, and tempeh in your diet to slow down ageing prcocess.
ALSO READ: Exercise can protect brain against ageing
3. Plant sterols: Plant sterols or plant cholesterols (sterols and sterolins) found in pumpkin seeds and chia seeds are known to maintain a good balance of T cells (killer cells) and enhance cellular immunity. So, consume a lot of plant sterols to have a healthy and long life.
4. Olive oil: Olive oil has been known to have protective effects against various diseases, decrease the effects of pro-inflammatory genes and lower risk of diseases such as CVDs, dementia and cancer. Olive oil is best used on salads or in dips.
5. Grapes: Polyphenolic substances in grapes are known to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. These help protect brain health and is key in preventing neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's in controlling inflammation.