Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: Hepatitis C is prevalent worldwide with the most affected regions being Africa and Central and East Asia.
Hepatitis C is an infection caused by the hepatitis C virus, leading to inflammation of the liver. As per the WHO, about 130 - 150 million people globally have chronic hepatitis C infection.
Currently there is no vaccine for hepatitis C, antiviral medicines can cure approximately 90% of persons with hepatitis C infection, thereby reducing the risk of death from liver cancer and cirrhosis.
Many people with hepatitis C have no symptoms. But if they do, they develop fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin), stomach apin.
Here are a few steps that you can take to hep protect your liver and boost your well-being:
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, dairy, lean protein, etc,.
- Even if you aren't hungry, eat small meals or snacks throughout the day.
- Try taking a walk before meals as this might help you to feel hungrier and less nauseous.
- Avoid alcohol that may harm your liver.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day to keep your body hydrated as well as provide the fluid it needs.
- Exercise regularly not just to maintain a healthy weight, but also to help improve your total health and manage drug side effects such as fatigue and depression.
- Keep a regular sleep schedule to get enough sleep such as - going to bed and waking at the same time each day.
- Living with hepatitis C can be stressful. If you feel tense, try taking a short walk, doing yoga, even a few deep breaths.
- Above all, learn about hepatitis C as it may help you alot in controlling the disease.