Holi special: Easy tips to protect your skin, hair
People make most of the festival by playing with colours, water guns, water filled balloons, etc. But this vibrant festival can also cause damage to your skin and hair. Here are few tips to make your Holi safe and joyful:
- Make sure that you apply a good sunscreen or moisturizer before or after you play with colours.
- Use vaseline, olive oil, coconut oil, mustard oil on your face and body.
- Oil your hair with coconut, olive or castor oil. Doing so will protect your hair from damage by harmful chemicals. It will also make it easier to remove while washing off colours.
- You can also cover your head with a thick scarf to protect your hair from being soaked in colour.
- Protect your lips by using a good lip gloss/lip balm.
- Paint your nail- both in fingers and toes with transparent nail polish (preferably red or pink colours) to protect your nails from harsh effects of colours.
- If you are prone to rashes or allergies, consult a dermatologist whether you need to take preventive measures for your skin.
- Before stepping out to play with colours, you should use a toner to close your skin pores and to reduce the chances of damage on your skin.
- You can protect your skin by wearing long sleeves and full length bottoms.
- Never sit in sunlight after playing with colours as it will make difficult to remove as well as harm your skin.
- Try using natural colours such as henna, turmeric, marigold flowers, tomatoes and tea leaves for a safe and skin-friendly Holi.
- Always clean your face with a cleansing milk or lotion with a cotton wool after playing with colours. Never wash your face with harsh soaps, especially when it is wet, doing so can damage your skin causing further dryness.
- You can also massage your face and body with til oil to remove colours.
- Rinse your hair with plenty of water to wash off colours. Use mild and herbal shampoo to avoid further damage. You can also add lemon juice to a mug and use it as a last rinse to restore cid-alkaline balance of the scalp.
- You can also apply a hair pack- one good option is a mixture of henna powder, lemon juice and curd. You can apply this on your hair and wash off after an hour.
- Ensure that your eyes are well protected with glasses at all times. Eyes are extremely vulnerable during Holi due to the use of harmful chemicals in colours.
- Do not take bath immediately after the play since taking frequent baths and washing your face and hair repeatedly will ruin your skin as well as your scalp. Do it much later after the celebration is over.
So, here’s wishing you all a happy and safe holi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses