How to control pet allergy symptoms
Washington: Allergists have said that removing dogs and cats from your home isn’t enough to avoid pet allergy.
They suggested the use of immunotherapy – allergy shots – combined with environmental changes to help control pet allergy symptoms.
“This is a common allergy that touches the hearts of so many,” said Dana Wallace, MD, ACAAI president.
“More than 90 percent of homes have measurable dog and cat allergens and 52 percent of homes have a pet. So not only is it a common allergy, but the allergen is everywhere,” Wallace stated.
And although individuals who are allergic to dogs and/or cats are advised to reduce their exposure to the animal, case studies have shown that cat dander is present even in places where a cat has never set a paw.
Allergists refer to this as “passive” exposure because the dander travels to school on students’ clothing and backpacks.
Dr. Wallace discusses the benefit of specific environmental interventions and the effectiveness of allergy shots for individuals who want to live comfortably with their pet.
She suggested some changes to reduce animal dander in the home, such as removing the animal from the bedroom to create an “allergy free zone,” using bleach to reduce the allergen on clothing or bedding, using HEPA room air cleaners and a HEPA vacuum, bathing animals regularly etc.
The changes were suggested at the annual scientific meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) in Boston, Nov. 3-8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17