How to keep your kidneys healthy
Whether you are young or old, it is extremely important to keep your kidneys healthy. Kidneys are vital organs that perform various functions in the body.
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Whether you are young or old, it is extremely important to keep your kidneys healthy. Kidneys are vital organs that perform various functions in the body. Having healthy kidneys will also help to keep rest of your body healthy.
Your kidneys act as a natural filter of the blood, and remove water soluble wastes which are diverted to the urinary bladder.
If you think that you are at risk for kidney disease, make sure that you get your urine and blood checked. Other primary risks include diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure.
Here are a few kidney-friendly tips:
- Exercise regularly to keep your blood flowing and your kidneys healthy.
- Maintain an ideal weight, lose weight if you are overweight.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables. Also, have fish like tuna, brim. Meat intake should be limited.
- If you have diabetes, manage your blood sugar level.
- Monitor blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Know your family history, especially that of kidney disease.
- Limit your salt intake.
- Avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking. And if you smoke, quit now.