How to prevent cold and flu during rainy season!
Many of us fall ill during the rainy season mostly due to sudden weather change causing fluctuation in your body temperature. At these times of humidity and alternate heat and cold, our immune system also weakens. Hence, a weak immune system can make us vulnerable to colds, cough and flus, especially during this time of the year when our body is exposed to various undesirable factors.
Therefore, one should eat nutritious food to remain healthy and to ward off bacteria and viruses that produces toxins causing colds, cough, influenzas and other common diseases.
Both flus and colds are caused by viruses, but with different families of viruses. They are often confused for each other as they have very similar symptoms like- runny nose, cough, fever, nasal congestion, body aches and headache. While, a cold usually lasts about a week, flu takes longer time to get healed.
Although there is no exact cure for these common viral infections, a few good self-care therapies and over-the-counter painkillers can be combined to deal with it.
Below are some of the best tips to help you cure or stay away from cold or flu:
- Have hot and nourishing soups.
- Take plenty of fluids especially fruit juices.
- Do not take alcohol or caffeine as they can cause dehydration.
- Increase your Vitamin C intake such as orange juice. This will reduce the severity or duration of cold as it activates the antibodies in your body.
- Try to avoid refrigerated food and drinks.
- Drink boiled and cooled water only.
- Eat nutritious foods with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Have proper bed rest.
- Get enough sleep.
- Try to keep yourself and your surrounding clean as much as you can. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. It is the best way to prevent the common cold or flu.
- Have regular exercise.
- Avoid exposure to cold weather and rains. Take a shower immediately if you got wet to guard yourself from infections.
- While health experts recommend taking analgesics like ibuprofen and paracetamol for relieving the aches and pains, aspirin is not recommended, especially in children and teenagers, as it could cause a potentially fatal reaction called Reye’s syndrome.
- Seek timely medical care and stay healthy during the rainy season.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!