How to stop painful muscle cramps fast!
Quickly treating the cramped muscle can help ease the pain
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A muscle cramp is a very common thing. It can happen in your leg, arm, back or elsewhere. Since muscle cramps often come on suddenly, they can be quite painful, lasting for a few seconds to several minutes.
Quickly treating the cramped muscle can help ease the pain.
Here are a few ways to relieve your muscle pain:
- Stretch the cramped muscle to stop the cramp quickly
- Massaging the cramped area could help reduce discomfort too
- Apply a warm towel or a heating pad to the area. This will help the muscle to relax and soothe the pain from cramp.
- Take a warm shower or bath to relax the pain.
- If heat therapy doesn't help, try using an ice or cold pack.
- Take potassium rich foods such as bananas and oranges (cramps have been linked with low levels of potassium, calcium and magnesium).
- Drink plenty of fluids as studies have shown that dehydration causes cramps. Always drink water during and after a workout.
- Learn about the causes of cramps to prevent future painful episodes.