Quick guidelines: Treating fever in infants!
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Being a parent is scary, especially if you are someone who is new to this challenging role. And yes, it's heart-rending to see your little ones in any kind of discomfort.
High temperatures have been one such common thing that is seen in infants causing fear and confusion among parents. But there's no need to panic even if your baby has temperatures because most fevers are harmless and caused by a mild infection.
Here are a few quick tips to treat when your baby has a fever:
- If your baby is less than 3 months old and has temperature of 100.4 F and above, call the doctor even if the child looks comfortable and doesn't have any other signs and symptoms.
- Consult the doctor before treating your child with medicines.
- Make your baby drink plenty of fluids.
- Do not allow your child to take too much fruit or apple juice (mix them with one half of water).
- In children, between 3-6 months of age, if the temperature reads 102 F, medication is not required unless your baby develops some kind of unusual behaviour.
- Try giving your baby a lukewarm bath or sponge bath as it may help cool the fever. But, never give your baby cold/ice baths as these may worsen the condition.
- For babies under 6 months, doctors recommend giving acetaminophen. However, if the child is of 6 months or older, either acetaminophen or ibuprofen is often recommended.
- Never give aspirin to your child if he/she is younger than 18 years of age.
- Encourage your baby to have some sleep.
- Take your child to the doctor if he/she has fevers that come on and off for a week or more even if the temperature is not that high.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on