Seven tips for diet success
Melbourne: You need more than planning and organisation to win the weight-loss battle.
Nutritionist Susie Burrell`s new book, The Monday to Friday Diet, is offering practical tips on how to plan your week and make your diet work for you.
Each day is allocated a chapter that`s loaded with tips, menus and planning ideas to make your objectives clear.
Looking at the week gives you structure and gives you control of your working week and your food, said Burrell.
Prepare for the week ahead by making a meal plan and doing your shopping for the week. Buy enough for lunch and dinner and healthy snacks for the next five days, she suggested.
Cook at least two meals from your plan and freeze them on Sunday, she added.
"I call them sacred Sundays. Use this day to reset and nourish yourself and that way you will find the week doesn`t pile up on you and you are more rested and in control. This prevents you from running on empty," she explained.
Burrell suggests writing down an exercise plan for every day of the week.
Prioritise Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for exercise so that if things get busy later in the week you have at least three sessions done, Burrell said.
"Given our sedentary lives and jobs we also need to include half-an-hour to one-hour of walking to make up for how much we don`t move during the day. This could be walking to the station, or taking a half hour walk at lunchtime," she said.
Burrell recommends drinking only one milk coffee a day, eating breakfast before 8am, making vegetables the focus of your snacks and having one, low calorie day per week.
Bring lunch to work four days a week and avoid eating at your desk, she suggests.
Take a good combination of protein, carbohydrate and vegetables, followed by a cup of herbal tea and try for at least a 20-minute walk after you eat to aid digestion and up your movement quota.
Get up early and don`t sleeping too late, as it can set your day back and can lead to problems spiralling out of control, she said.
Eat the majority of your food by 3pm. Breakfast by 8am, lunch by 1pm and dinner by 7pm, she recommends.
Learn how to compensate, she said.
For example if you overindulge for one meal make sure the next one is as light as possible, like a replacement-meal shake or a salad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in