Simple tips to prevent lung cancer
Even if most lung cancers are caused by tobacco use accounting for 80-90% of all the lung cancer cases, preventing the disease goes beyond avoiding smoking.
While experts have identified various causes of lung cancer, half of the people who develop the disease are non-smokers currently. Below are a few tips to lower your risk of developing lung cancer:
Quit smoking: If you smoke, quit now immediately. If you do not smoke, never try it. Research suggest that quitting at any time, although you have been smoking for some years, still lowers your risk of developing the disease.
Also, try to avoid exposure to secondhand smoke from other people's cigarettes, as that too, puts you at risk.
Exercise: Regular exercise may aid in lung cancer prevention. Studies have linked physical activity with a lower risk of getting lung cancer. It suggests that even simple physical activity like gardening twice a week can reduce your risk of developing lung cancer.
Fruits and vegetables: Studies suggest that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help in lung cancer prevention. Try to include a variety of foods with different colours, including dark greens such as broccoli, spinach, onions, apples, tomatoes, oranges etc.
Radon exposure: Check your home for radon since it is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers, and the second leading cause of lung cancer overall. Radon is a colourless and odourless gas generated by the breakdown of radioactive radium, which in turn is the decay product of uranium, found in the Earth's crust.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics