Simple tips to prevent lung cancer
Even if most lung cancers are caused by tobacco use accounting for 80-90% of all the lung cancer cases, preventing the disease goes beyond avoiding smoking.
While experts have identified various causes of lung cancer, half of the people who develop the disease are non-smokers currently. Below are a few tips to lower your risk of developing lung cancer:
Quit smoking: If you smoke, quit now immediately. If you do not smoke, never try it. Research suggest that quitting at any time, although you have been smoking for some years, still lowers your risk of developing the disease.
Also, try to avoid exposure to secondhand smoke from other people's cigarettes, as that too, puts you at risk.
Exercise: Regular exercise may aid in lung cancer prevention. Studies have linked physical activity with a lower risk of getting lung cancer. It suggests that even simple physical activity like gardening twice a week can reduce your risk of developing lung cancer.
Fruits and vegetables: Studies suggest that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help in lung cancer prevention. Try to include a variety of foods with different colours, including dark greens such as broccoli, spinach, onions, apples, tomatoes, oranges etc.
Radon exposure: Check your home for radon since it is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers, and the second leading cause of lung cancer overall. Radon is a colourless and odourless gas generated by the breakdown of radioactive radium, which in turn is the decay product of uranium, found in the Earth's crust.
Compiled by: Salome Phelamei
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed