Six tips to keep your eyes healthy
Your eyes are the windows to the world but negligence and improper care can take a toll on your eyesight. Here are some tips to keep them healthy:
Healthy foods for your eyes
Include foods with nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc and vitamins A, C and E in your diet to keep your vision clear and ward off age-related problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
The best sources of these nutrients are green, leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, and collards, oily fishes like salmon and tuna, eggs nuts, beans, citrus fruits, carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupes.
Take care while using computer
Many people suffer from Computer Vision Syndrome, which is a temporary condition caused by frequent and prolong use of computer. Some of the symptoms are eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, fatigue, dry eyes, difficulty focusing at a distance, neck, back, and shoulder pain, etc. So while using your computer, ensure proper lighting conditions to avoid glare on your computer or use an anti-glare screen if needed. Drink lots of water and blink often to prevent dry eyes. Take a short break after every two hours and look away from the computer for 20 seconds every 20 minutes. Make sure that your eyes are level with the top of the monitor to allow you to look slightly down at the screen.
Wear sunglasses and safety goggles
To protect your peepers from UV rays wear sunglasses that block 99% of both UVA and UVB rays as these rays increase the risk for cataracts and macular degeneration.
Make sure you don safety eyewear while working with hazardous or airborne materials at work or home.
Studies have shown that smoking can increase the risk for macular degeneration, cataracts and optic nerve damage.
Throw away old make-up
Make sure that you don’t use eye make-up that’s more than six months old. Also don’t share make-up and make-up brushes; it will increase your susceptibility to eye infections.
Have regular eye check-up
Visit your eye doctor regularly to retain healthy eyesight and detection of eye problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city