Six tips to keep your eyes healthy
Your eyes are the windows to the world but negligence and improper care can take a toll on your eyesight. Here are some tips to keep them healthy:
Healthy foods for your eyes
Include foods with nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc and vitamins A, C and E in your diet to keep your vision clear and ward off age-related problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
The best sources of these nutrients are green, leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, and collards, oily fishes like salmon and tuna, eggs nuts, beans, citrus fruits, carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupes.
Take care while using computer
Many people suffer from Computer Vision Syndrome, which is a temporary condition caused by frequent and prolong use of computer. Some of the symptoms are eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, fatigue, dry eyes, difficulty focusing at a distance, neck, back, and shoulder pain, etc. So while using your computer, ensure proper lighting conditions to avoid glare on your computer or use an anti-glare screen if needed. Drink lots of water and blink often to prevent dry eyes. Take a short break after every two hours and look away from the computer for 20 seconds every 20 minutes. Make sure that your eyes are level with the top of the monitor to allow you to look slightly down at the screen.
Wear sunglasses and safety goggles
To protect your peepers from UV rays wear sunglasses that block 99% of both UVA and UVB rays as these rays increase the risk for cataracts and macular degeneration.
Make sure you don safety eyewear while working with hazardous or airborne materials at work or home.
Studies have shown that smoking can increase the risk for macular degeneration, cataracts and optic nerve damage.
Throw away old make-up
Make sure that you don’t use eye make-up that’s more than six months old. Also don’t share make-up and make-up brushes; it will increase your susceptibility to eye infections.
Have regular eye check-up
Visit your eye doctor regularly to retain healthy eyesight and detection of eye problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed