Tips to help you cope with PMS
Feeling irritated with no specific reason, tired and drained out just after a good night’s sleep, battling bloated belly – these are just the signs that appear as you near the time of your monthly cycle.
Premenstrual syndrome, or just PMS, is a range of varying symptoms related to a woman’s menstrual cycle. The symptoms include bloating, clumsiness, constipation, diarrhea, food cravings, headache, breast tenderness etc. The severity of the syndrome varies from woman to woman.
Month after month dealing with the symptoms can be tough. Change the way you eat and incorporate the right kind of vitamins and minerals into your regular diet and see how it works wonders. Here are a few tips that can help ease the symptoms:
i) Do not skip meals. Doing so will only aggravate the symptoms. Skipping meals leads to a drop in blood sugar levels which can in turn alleviate sudden cravings for not so healthy food. Thus skipping meals or indulging in unhealthy eating can result in bloating, which eventually ends up worsening the situation. Try feeding your tummy in smaller portions at regular intervals.
ii) Having Vitamin B rich food works wonders to ease the symptoms. Eating food like nuts, banana, yoghurt, eggs and adding whole grains and beans to your regular diet can reduce the severity of PMS symptoms like bloating, cravings, tiredness, and mood swings.
iii) Potassium is another mineral that has a significant effect on PMS mood swings. Include fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet or just have a glass of fresh orange juice and see the difference.
iv) Include calcium and Vitamin D in your diet. A glass of milk, which is a good source of calcium and Vitamin D, can help control your irritable mood swings during PMS. People suffering from lactose intolerance can opt for foods like asparagus, broccoli, some beet greens, or any other calcium-rich veggies.
v) Check out for fat consumption. PMS symptoms can start as early as one or even two weeks before the start of the menstrual cycle and having too much fat content in your food can cause further discomfort.
vi) Keep yourself hydrated. The body tends to lose a lot of water in the form of sweat and urine; having enough water and eating food that have a high water content can help reduce PMS symptoms.
Compiled by: Liji Varghese
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah