Active older adults less likely to experience functional limitations
Washington: Older adults who experienced any level of psychological distress were more than four times more likely to experience functional limitation than those who did not, researchers from Australia have found.
Led by Gregory Kolt, PhD, of the University of Western Sydney, School of Science and Health, researchers analysed data from nearly 100,000 Australian men and women, aged 65 and older, who participated in the 45 and Up Study.
Information was sought on self-reported physical activity engagement, physical function, psychological distress, age, smoking history, education, height, and weight.
Psychological distress scores determined by researchers indicated that 8.4 percent of all older adult participants were experiencing some level of psychological distress, and older adults who experienced a moderate level of psychological distress were the most likely group to experience a functional limitation—almost seven times more likely than those who did not report psychological distress.
Psychological distress has previously been linked to reduced physical activity and increased functional limitation across a range of age groups.
A separate study also indicated that approximately 30 percent of reductions in physical activity, and increases in psychological distress over time, are due to functional limitations and chronic health problems.
“Our findings can influence the emphasis that we place on older adults to remain active,” Kolt noted.
“With greater levels of physical activity, more positive health gains can be achieved, and with greater physical function (through physical activity), greater independence can be achieved,” he added.
Results also revealed that older adults who were more physically active were less likely to experience functional limitations.
This study has been published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what